Consecrated, as far as can be ascertained, on 27th July 1922 the Shorncliffe & Hythe Lodge of Mark Master Masons No.767 celebrated their Centenary on 19th October 2022 at their now home in Hythe’s Windmill Street in the presence of R.W.Bro. Keith Emmerson, Past Deputy Grand Master.
Also present at the celebration were our Provincial Grand Master R.W.Bro. Peter Williams accompanied by a healthy party of Escorting Officers including W.Bro. Martyn Summers – Deputy Provincial Grand Master, W.Bro. Steve Hyland – Provincial Grand Secretary and W.Bro. Chris Metherell – Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies.
We say “as far as can be ascertained” since nearly all the early records of the Shorncliffe Lodge went missing, probably when the the Masonic Hall was requisitioned during World War II. The only original record book still available is a Register of Marks which included those of the Founders, who all dated them as 27th July 1922.
After R.W.Bro. Emmerson had presented the Centenary Master, V.W.Bro. Clive Manuel, with the Lodge’s Centenary Warrant, W.Bro. Keith Beavers, delivered a well researched and interesting history and reminiscence of the Lodge. He outlined how in the 1960s, concerned about its financial position, the decision was made to move 3 miles along the coast from Sandgate to Hythe. This was originally to the town’s Oddfellows Hall and then to the new Masonic Hall in Windmill Street, once available. In June 1962 it was reported that approval had been received from both the Province and Mark Masons’ Hall to append the town’s name and change the Lodge name to Shorncliffe & Hythe.
Afterwards, the members of the Lodge joined their guests for a typically friendly Mark Festive Board.